Saturday, May 28, 2016

From mind to post-it to internet

As an educator, I'm constantly generating new ideas and reconsidering old ones. As a mathematician, I'm constantly trying to solve a problem, and then tackling the new problems that arise from the previous one. And as an educator of mathematics, I find myself asking more and more questions of myself that fuse those two interests: I'm constantly using my mathematical brain to improve my teaching, as well as my educator's inclinations to improve my mathematical abilities. I'd like to share what this is like.

After many a class meeting, I walk back to my office while mulling over a particular discussion or event from class, and then I jot down an idea about it on a post-it. I even typically start the note with, "Blog idea: ..." But too often, a few weeks later when I'm cleaning off my desk or returning a book to the library, I come across a post-it note and promptly toss it in the recycling bin. Sometimes I don't remember what the note is about, sometimes I remember but think it would be silly to write about it, and sometimes I like the idea but just don't feel inspired at the moment. Regardless, I always wish that I at least had a place to share ideas like that.

Well, now I do. On this blog, I'd like to actually share what inspires me enough to want to jot it down on a post-it. I'd like to describe interesting happenings from my classes. I'd like to describe the tribulations of doing mathematical research and helping others do so. I'd like to share the successes and failures of the life of a mathematician/educator: teaching, researching, mentoring, serving the community, learning more mathematics, learning other information, and sometimes, just being a particular human being in this world.

“Hier stehe ich; ich kann nicht anders."
[Here I am; I know no other way.]
--- Martin Luther (?)
(Found in Paul Halmos' essay, How to Write Mathematics)

No comments:

Post a Comment